Training and Coaching for Executives and Managers
Regardless of how talented your in-home salespeople and marketing representatives are, if they are not trained and managed properly, your company will face significant turnover and a demotivated workforce. There are two challenges in developing executives and managers: Finding the right fit for the position and implementing a system that demonstrates how to best lead your employees. The management training consultants at Dave Yoho Associates have over 50 years of experience in coaching and applying strategies to maximize the effectiveness of company leadership.
TO PROMOTE OR NOT TO PROMOTE
Many companies choose to promote one of their leading in-home salespeople to a management role, and while this occasionally works, it can also cause significant problems. Effective managers require a different mindset than sales representatives, because the job of a Sales Manager is to manage people – – not sales. Further, if the salesperson is one of your top producers, it may be difficult to replace their revenue. On the other hand, bringing in an outside manager or executive has its own set of challenges, including a potential “clash” in culture, and legal ramifications if you hire from a competitor.
TEN REASONS WHY MOST SALES TRAINING FAILS
The purpose of sales training is to improve the skills and efficiency of your in-home representatives; it involves a lot more than words and narrative statements. When we examine the sales practices of many of our clients, we frequently find that poor or insufficient training has led to the following:
- Price ranges discussed too early, which prevent the sales presentation from being completed
- Low energy or shortened “walk arounds” that fail to uncover the needs of the prospects
- Inadequate notes that present an obstacle in building rapport
- Commitment questions not being asked during the presentation
- Not providing your sales personnel with upgraded technology, preventing prospects from visualizing what you are proposing
- Relying too much on technology and avoiding key questions that nurture the sales process.
- Not writing the order before quoting the price
- A lack of understanding of how to deal with objections, or attempting to override the customers’ feelings which creates a perception of “high pressure”
- Using outdated sales language such as, “What do you think?” instead of a scientifically proven question such as, “What would need to exist for us to proceed with this work for you?”
- Using of quick or multiple price-drops which creates a low level of credibility and contaminates the value of your product(s).
Modern in-home sales training involves a step-based, replicable system. For most representatives, it takes time and patience and your managers must be coached accordingly to maximize sales efficiency.
WE CAN ASSIST YOU WITH
- Defining the role and responsibilities of your managers
- Identifying the right leaders and avoiding the wrong ones
- Coaching and scripting for telephone and in-person interviews
- The implementation of a systematic onboarding program
- How to best manage and assign your valuable leads
- Methods for retraining sales and marketing personnel
- Techniques that motivate leaders and subsequently motivate their direct reports
- Creating a compensation package for executives and management
- Developing future managers from within
Our business management consultants will help you put the right leaders in place and provide the necessary training to maximize their performance. We can work with you on-site, by phone or Zoom, or on a project-by-project or long-range basis, and your information will be protected through our personalized Confidentiality Agreement.